Re: gravitational sensations--was Work/Energy theorem ?

At 8:23 PM on 4/7/97, Vern Lindberg <vwlsps@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> wrote:

J. D. Sample wrote:

... So the apparent weight is what is
measured by your bathroom scale and, unless you put it in an elevator
..., your apparent weight equals the pull of gravity.

Surely you have helped someone gain weight by judicious application of a
thumb on the scale. Dishonest butchers are renowned for this act!

Generally I use my toe.

You could also put the bathroom scale on a slight hill and see how its
reading changes with the incline.

There is a very particular spot on our bathroom floor where I prefer to
place the scale while weighing myself. The hazard to my toes in the middle
of the night is well worth it.

I bring in an old bathroom scale specifically as a "normal force detector."

I like this, and have sometimes mentioned that the scale measures normal
forces. The example also is good for demonstrating N's 3rd, eg two
students push against each other with the scale in between. Does the
reading on the scale depend on which student it faces?

Vern Lindberg
RIT Physics Dept.

Chip

J. D. Sample (501) 698-4625