Re: Another camera question

On Thu, 03 Apr 1997 18:00:11 -0600 brian whatcott said:

Which reminds me of this story.
Make a mask (optical filter) from the text 'dog' on a page of print.
Transform the image of a page of text through the mask.
When retransformed, all instances of the word 'dog' are highlighted
on the reconstituted image along with similar shaped words like "God" etc....

(I never tried this personally)
Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>

<It's hard for me to see how this would work. Anybody believe this and want
<to take a stab at it?
Altus OK

I think some details have been left out. This should work:
1) photograph the Fourier Transform of "dog"
2) place a transparency of this in the Fourier plane (usually the
focal plane) of a lens which is imaging a page of text.
3) the result should be a filtering which enhances the (spatial) spectral
components of the word "dog.

Some recent optics books give photographical samples of such "Fourier Optics"
work. If interested, I can get specific references.

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html