a question from a student

OOP, an older file was mailed a minute ago by mistake. It could be worse !

Last Thursday a student asked me why Q1 and Q2 are equal on a capacitor
connected to a battery. Would this also be true if the area of one plate
were twice as large as the other? How should I answer? Keep in mind this
is a non-calculus course and Gauss's law is not even mentioned in our text,
except in the appendix (at the end of the book).
Ludwik Kowalski