Sound Idea...

Greetings everyone! I want to thank all those who gave me some
information dealing with the doppler effect. I had a hard time
downloading some of the doppler wave files so I decided to try to make
some of my own, that's where I discovered a few things that I thought I'd
share.
One thing I discovered is that it is not all that easy to make a
computer diagram of the doppler effect. :-) What I did to create the
diagrams was to hook a microphone to my computer. I then struck
different tuning forks and waved them over the mic. I have some decent
results...not great, but good enough to show the effect.
Another thing that I discovered that worked very well was to show
beats. I struck two different tuning forks, fairly close in frequency,
and held them both close to the mic at the same time. You can plainly
see the beats that result.
What's nice about these is that the recording program not only
shows the waves, but also the time. I can highlight the waves and
determine the time frame and do the calculation fairly accurately for the
beats (and to some extent, the doppler effect).
My next step is to see if I can transfer these files so that I
can print them out. So if anyone has access to a computer with a sound
card, I highly recommend trying these out. The results are not the most
accurate, but they are pretty close, it could also be the tuning forks
may be slightly off...they are fairly old.

Dwight
dsouder@juno.com