Re: Bug splats on cars

Swanson, Rick wrote:

I recently communicated with Mark Hostetler, author of "That Gunk on
Your Car" (see his web page:
http://nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu/~arm/people/hos/That_Gunk2.html ) The page
has sample bug splats on windshields from various insects. He recently
had a nice interview on public radio about this effort at "science for
the public".

I shared with him Jearl Walker's question, "Are insects squashed
directly on the windshield of fast moving cars, or do they rupture in
the air and then splatter on the windshield?" (see Flying Circus of
Physics page 83 (number 4.28).

Mark Hostetler replied:

"Interesting, I'll look at the reference. But I suspect that it is the
impact on the windshield that causes them to splat (just from personal
observation). Would not the car have to be going really fast to cause
the
bugs to rupture? Interesting theory though."

Would enjoy your comments on this. There must be scientists and
engineers who study this -- perhaps the chicken accelerator group ...?

Cheers,

Rick

Since Insects have a hard exoskeleton, wouldn't this also prevent
rupture prior to impact?
--
Richard Goode
Physics Teacher

"Man does not cease to play because he grows old;
Man grows old because he ceases to play."