skydiving

Three of my students are building a computer model of a skydiver reaching
terminal velocity in freefall, opening the parachute and establishing a
new terminal velocity, then impacting the ground. They are interested in
building into their model the differences that can be expected for
skydivers of different mass.

They have the model working fairly well for a 170 lb skydiver with a 30
lb parachute but would benefit from additional information that we
haven't been able to locate in reference books. In particular, they
would like to know the following:

1. How does the terminal velocity (before 'chute deploys) of of a diver
depend on the diver's mass (all other things being equal)? They are
presently using the information that the 170 lb diver reaches a terminal
velocity of approximately 120 mph in about 12 seconds and assuming that
the force of air resistance is proportional to v^2.

2. How long does the opening of the parachute generally take? Or, if we
know how many g's the diver pulls upon opening the 'chute, we can deduce
the time.

3. How many g's does the diver experience as a result of impact with the
ground ('chute open, safe landing)?

If any of you are skydiving experts or if you can refer us to resources,
we would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

David J. Hamilton, Ed.D. "And gladly wolde he lerne,
Franklin HS, Portland, OR and gladly teche."
djhamil@teleport.com Geoffrey Chaucer