(Fwd) Re: Smart PASCO Pulley

Forwarded message:
From: Self <Morrison.TechSupp.MktSls.PASCO>
To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu
Subject: Re: Smart PASCO Pulley
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 12:21:06 -0800

Dear Tim, Bob, Sam,John,and anyone that might be interested,
Science Workshop has a default Digital Sampling Rate 10 KHz. The
adjustable sampling rate is for Analog sensors, the Rotary Motion
Sensor, and the Nuclear sensor. In a perfect world this would mean
the Smart Pulley could be measured at rates up to 500 RPS. The
reality is some signal aliasing does occur. At high revolution rates
the smart pulley data stars to look like a step function. This is the
reason for the erratic acceleration data. With the Smart
Pulley, acceleration is calculated from velocity data, and the
velocity is calculated from distance and time. Any small error in
time or position, is magnified with each subsequent calculation. This
Also contributes to strange looking acceleration data.
Science Workshop shows data in its rawest possible form, but
includes the ability to smooth data. In the Experiment Calculator
Special Functions submenu, You will find a Smooth function. When you
first select the Smooth function the "x" parameter should be
highlighted. If you make a selection from the Input menu at this
point, it will replace the "x". The "n" is the number of points you
wish to smooth over. The Users Guide has more detail on using the
experiment calculator. If you are running an older version of
Science Workshop, you can update to the latest version at our web
site:
http://www.pasco.com
Hit the red Demo button on the homepage graphic to get to the
software download page.
Yours,
Robert

I was using the Smart PASCO Pulley today with Science Workshop Software.
The smart pulley is in constant contact with a rotating disk so that
as the disk spins the smart pulley spins.

The angular acceleration should be negative at all times during a
"spin down" of the disk (the angular velocity constantly decreases on
the table and graph of data). Instead there is an alternating pattern
of negative and positive angular accelerations on both the table and
the graph of the acceleration.

Is anyone familar with this equipment and results?

Writing this note makes me wonder if there is a data sampling rate that
needs tweaking...but the question is posed for assistance! Thanks.

Tim Burgess

| Robert Morrison voice: (916) 786-3800 |
| Technical Support fax: (916) 786-3292 |
| PASCO scientific toll-free: (800) 772-8700 |
| 10101 Foothills Blvd. Ext: 300 |
| Roseville, CA 95678 email: morrison@pasco.com |
| http://www.pasco.com |