Re: capacitor or condenser ?

Ludwik Kowalski

You know why the word "holding" is emphasized. Everything is connected,
by words we use. Who was the first to use the word "capacitor", in
electicity, and how it was understood? Why the word "condenser" is no
longer used in our textbooks?

When I took my beginning physics back in the mid '50s, we were instructed to
no use the term "condenser" with the explanation that it doesn't condense
anything. I suppose by this line of reasoning that we can say that a
capacitor which can be used to store charge and energy has capacity for
these quantities.

Roger

--
Roger A. Pruitt, PhD