Re: New capacitor problem

At 11:16 AM 3/29/97, Donald E. Simanek wrote:

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, brian whatcott wrote:

It is quite declasse, I'm sure, to offer water analogies in the didactic
environment for teaching physics or electronics.

But try this:

1) A bucket is charged with 8 pounds of water, and the height of
the water level is found to be half way up the bucket.
What is its water capacity?

2) The bucket is now emptied.
What is its water capacity now?

Most here know me as a critic of all analogies except the mathematical
analogy.

I suspected as much. You are not alone. There is a hunger for exactitude.
But there once was a person foolish enough to run with the analogy of a
table-tennis session aboard a train or some such foolishness.

Then again, he was only a clerk, second class ( I heard he started as a
clerk third class, would you believe.)

Moreover, the only Nobel he ever received was for some work involving a
polished piece of copper plate and a uv lamp as I recall.

If people can answer the water problem but not the capacitor question,
it seems to me their teaching has been impoverished by the absense of
helpful analogy.

It seems to me that analogies such as this one impoverish students'
conceptual understanding, and lead to incorrect conclusions.

It's not MY students that conclude that a discharged condenser has no
capacity for charge! :-)

(Just wait 'til I get going on the helpful role that silly mnemonics
play on students' competence....)

:-)

brian whatcott

This is the kind of useful and provocative give-and-take I was hoping to
inspire by posting this problem.

-- Donald

.....and it is quite unfair of me to start throwing shells down from the
peanut gallery, as a newcomer to this enterprise.

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK