Re: e-mail format(t)ing and the 7 work energy relationships

At 6:20 PM on 3/27/97, <phys-l@mailer.uwf.edu> wrote:

I still argue for TeX/LaTeX. How can you beat the following?
1. universally available and platform independent
2. free or very cheap
3. straight ASCII (won't choke mailers)
4. usually readable as is for simple things
5. if not #4, then easily formatted to the most beautiful typset text and
equations available on the planet

I haven't seen any alternative to LaTeX that can boast all of these
advantages. (I guess the main disadvantage is its verbosity and steep
learning curve; but it is the lingua franca of the scientific journals, so
I assumed most would know how to write in TeX/LaTeX. Am I wrong?)

Larry

I'm a LaTeX fan too. The only disadvantage I can see is the inability to
send pictures easily. As far as I know, the picture capability is somewhat
platform dependent and on my Mac version of Texures I'm pretty sure the
pics are stored in the resource fork of the files.

Other than that, I'd go with TeX.

As for the learning curve, I think most of that is formatting. The math
symbols are pretty straight forward.

Chip