Re: e-mail formating

Leigh,

I understand the problem of those in the WIN/DOS world and realize that
the BinHex(etc.) solution doesn't work for them. MAC to MAC transfers
work well in this way.

I also live in the WIN/DOS world. Many, if not most, of those with whom I
do research* use a MAC for writing and publication and WIN/DOS for
computation. In the WIN/DOS world, I use BIN2HEX.EXE (with or without
initial compaction) or UUENCODE or MIME --- there are a number of
available transfer modes.

Unfortunately, except for the use flat text, Rich Text Format, and/or
possibly HTML, even given the true compatibility between WIN/DOS and MAC
(see "The Myth of PC <-> Mac Incompatibility", John Ertel, The Capital
Chemist, Washington Section of ACS, v44 #1), many people are stymied by
the transfer process WIN/DOS to MAC or MAC to WIN/DOS. I think it is just
that we all concentrate on the particulars associated with our choice of
O/S or computer and fail to remember that these machines all really work
the same way. I have found that thinking in analogies will always get the
job done on any machine. After all, everything we do on a computer really
reduces to only 1's and 0's!

*I started as a nuclear theorist (electron scattering) and transitioned to
acoustics (much of the math {propagator, partial wave, etc.} is the same),
but mostly I specialize in computational physics. In thi regard, I need
to move and be able to write APPS on a variety of machines and O/Ss, MAC,
WIN/DOS, VAX, UNIX, etc.