RE: reflections on a neglected problem

High Leigh-
I've been looking at the 4-charges problem also. You write:
The solutions here will be chaotic in some regimes. If q and Q are of
the same sign then the subsequent motion will be simple (and dull) and
not chaotic. If q and Q are of opposite sign things get interesting. It
is only this case that I will discuss below.

I haven't found the same sign problem "dull". The issue is,
how do the two pairs of particles split up the total energy? I'm convinced
that John is correct; there is another constant of the motion other than
the total energy, but I haven't found it yet either. I'm not quite ready
to give up, though.
Regards,
Jack