RE: How many volts ?

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997 John Mallinckrodt wrote:

The fringe effect between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is
negligible precisely *because* the plates are large relative to their
spacing. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the amount of charge on
either plate. This is because the plates are equipotentials and the
field near the surface of the plates must, therefore, be perpendicular
to the plates.

In this problem Q1=-10 and Q2=+100 nC. Thus the net charge is +90 nC. A
vary distant observer will see the plates as a positive point-like charge
whose field lines "radiate" towar infinity. That is what I had in mind by
"fringe effect". Yes the field near each plate must be perpendicular to
the surface, both inside, outside and along the sharp rims. The radiating
flux will depend only on the net charge. It has nothing whatsoever to do
with the equipotentiality of plates, with the distance between them, with
their relative positions or the voltage generated. I know you will agree
with this without any reservations. Perhaps the "fringe effect" term
should not have been used by me for the "uncommon capacitor".

* John, how do you justify the assumption that final charges are *
* distributed uniformly? Isn't it true that your 62 V prediction *
* depends on that assumption? *
Ludwik