Re: How many volts ?

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Mark Shapiro wrote:

I agree with your statements regarding the final surface charges
on each of the plates. However, your statement that +/- 55 nC are
required on the inner surfaces to produce the required field between the
plates is not quite accurate. For example an insulating sheet with -5
nC/m^2 on each side opposite another insulating sheet with +50 nC/m^2 on
each side will produce the same field between both insulating sheets.

Hey Mark, where did these insulating sheets come from? I guess I
should have prefaced my remarks with the disclaimer, "For the
problem as stated ..."

;-)

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/