Re: SPARKS

Does anyone know why, when metal is placed in a microwave oven, sparks
are generated? What is the process by which they occur?

My students tell me that foil lying flat in the oven does not spark but
when wrapped around a sandwich it does spark. Not being willing to risk
damaging mine, I wonder if someone knows the details of the spark
production.

Thanks for any insights.
--
David Abineri
--

I am not sure but I think that it has something to do with whether or not
there are "points" on the metal which will allow a strong enough field at

I suspect it has more to do with the EM field strength in the location
where the foil is. I would imagine that at the metal wall of the oven
cavity the field drops to zero, and when the foil is nearly flat and
lying against the wall the field is vastly lower than it is nearer the
middle of the cavity. I seem to remember (maybe in TPT) a demonstration
showing a block of frozen butter being melted in a microwave, with holes
in it where the field was highest.
Certainly if the foil is crumpled and there are corners on it you would
expect to see arcing preferentially from the corners.
Maybe someone who actually knows could respond....

Greg