Re: Parent teacher conference frustrations...

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Dwight K. Souder wrote:

snipped

There were a few others, but the real kicker was when a parent
and I were discussing the lack of participation of her son. The son is
noticably of above intelligence, but is heavy into self-expression (art)
and sometimes from the appearance of his pupils...I think he's into other
things as well. The mother told me of her son's interests in pop and
abstract art and if I made my class more art related, he may take more
interest. I think I felt my jaw hit the ground. I am structured in my
classroom, but I also know that I'm a bit more liberal on some of our
activities and topics. I feel that I'm not there to just teach chemistry
and physics, but how to think logically and applying those logic skills
to real life. I'm not sure how I responded to her...I don't think I want
to know.
Maybe next week, to make science more art related, we'll start
coloring the periodic table. :-)

First of all, I would never advocate that the structure of a
course should be dictated by the supposed interests of one student;
especially when that student is not motivated. However, it may be useful
for you to think about introducing some applications of chemistry into the
course. In the case of art, the subject of paint analysis for restoration
and authentication purposes is very big, and might show the students that
what they are learning does have relevance outside of knowledge of the
subject itself. I am not advocating a technology course, but just
introducing such "relevance" when appropriate.

Mike Monce
Physics
Connecticut College