Re: Singing pipes

Yes - we don't use a wire mesh or a newspaper, rather insert a Meeker
burner into the pipe. We have a set of oversized cardboard mailing tubes,
and one large carpet roller which shakes the building when we fire it off!

I, too, had done this demonstration before I was introduced to Rijke tubes.
These phenomena are probably not much more nearly related than being the
same mode of oscillation of the tube, however. The Meeker burner excitation
produces a loud tone easily in a large tube. The mystical effect of the
Rijke tube is, to me, much more intriguing since there are no moving parts.

Leigh