Re: Singing pipes

At 03:15 PM 3/19/97 -0500, Rick Swanson cited:
George Spagna , who wrote:

Yes - we don't use a wire mesh or a newspaper, rather insert a Meeker
burner into the pipe. We have a set of oversized cardboard mailing tubes,
and one large carpet roller which shakes the building when we fire it off!

The wire mesh and the mesh over the Meeker burner seem to be the
mechanism that provides the vibration -- one of the last posts to this
thread discussed that. I like the heated mesh inside the tube a little
better since you get the sound without having to stay over the burner.

Yet - I have seen this done with a Bunsen burner (no mesh) or with a plain
old propane torch. It seems harder to excite the resonance this way.

BTW a good lab exercise is to obtain a power spectrum of the pipe - when
we do it the dominant (loudest) frequency is not the fundamental but the
first overtone. Anyone with insights why that mode should be easier to excite?

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * And so some day, *
P.O. Box 5005 * The mighty ramparts of the mighty universe *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * Ringed round with hostile force *
* Will yield and face decay *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * and come crumbling to ruin. *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * - Lucretius, De Rerum Natura *