Donating blood...

Greetings everyone. Today the blood-mobile had visited our
school and a large number of our seniors and some juniors donated blood,
many of them was their first time. I helped out every year at the
blood-drive, plus I've helped many times while in college.
One thing I've been doing, was keeping track as to who had some
form of complications, mainly light-headedness. One thing I'd usually do
was talk to them and ask them a few questions, such as whether or not
they had breakfast or lunch, was this their fist time donating, etc. I
would also keep track of the weather conditions.
Something I've noticed today was that there was an unusually high
number of students who had "complications", mostly among first time
donors and even veteran donors. One thing I've seen a trend (other than
the usual nervousness and lack of a decent meal before donating) was the
weather. It seems as though if there is a low pressure system, there
tends to be a higher level of "complications". Today, there was a large
low system that came through our area, which was very evident with all of
the pouring rain.
Can anyone explain why this may be? Has anyone ever noticed
this? Is there some means to combat this? One thought I've had was to
have the donors drink some juice before they give, along with after
giving. Any insight and input on this would be helpful. I like seeing
the students getting in the habit of donating and hope that they continue
with this special cause.

Dwight
dsouder@juno.com