Re: Computational Physics

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Leigh Palmer wrote:

We SHOULD stick to critical conceptual language issues like work, force,
heat and energy in their appropriate contexts, and not alienate
nonmembers of the physics community by picking egregious and patently
unwinnable battles. We have enough image problems in society without
exacerbating the situation with trifles in this fashion.

Scientists who are aware of correct meanings should not gratuitously
subvert scientific terminology. They may be misunderstood by other
scientists. What I advocated was not calling the class a "lab" since
it is to be designated as something by the physics teacher. Calling
it "physics shop" would be better in my view, though I'm sure that a
better name could emerge if some thought were put into the thing.

Leigh

Let's be aware of consequences. Many years ago our general education
requirements were written to require xxx hours of "laboratory science". At
that time, everyone involved understood that meant courses in the natural
sciences having a component of laboratory work. The intent was to exclude
the social sciences, since they had a separate distribution requirement,
and their courses had no labs. Then geography got its foot in the door and
suddenly map-reading labs were lab sciences. Now moves are afoot in the
"health sciences" departments to have certain exercise and fitness
courses called lab sciences. Of course these all compete for students, and
students certainly prefer those which are (1) fun, and (2) guarantee an
easy A grade. When a departments' support depends on number of students
'served' it can make quite a difference for small departments like
physics.

It's not merely a semantic distinction. Nor is it simply academic. (Two
meanings of 'academic' can be used here.) It is political. So be careful
in your choice of words, for the consequences can come back to haunt you.

-- Donald

Dr. Donald E. Simanek Office: 717-893-2079
Prof. of Physics Internet: dsimanek@eagle.lhup.edu
Lock Haven University, Lock Haven, PA. 17745 CIS: 73147,2166
Home page: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek FAX: 717-893-2047