Re: falling magnet demo

Hallo Roger!
On Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:12:12 -0600, you wrote to
"phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu" about "Re: falling magnet demo" :

nested copper pipes about 2.5 m long. Our magnets are "cattle" magnets about
3" long purchased from a local farm supply store. They are small cylindrical

What are those originally used for?
tnx
Bye, bye
Guntbert
Guntbert Reiter, Graz, Austria
e-mail : guntbert@cut.big.ac.at

Cattle are forced to swallow these magnets to attract bits of iron metal
such as nails and small pieces of wire that might have been ingested by the
animal. These pieces of metal, being attached to the magnet, are not so
likely to puncture the animal's stomach.

CENCO (http://www.cenconet.com) sells a package called "Gilley Coils" which
I like to have my students work with to gain greater understanding of such
ideas as magnetic induction and Lenz's law. These cattle magnets are the
correct diameter to insert in the coils.

Hope this is the answer to your question, Guntbert.

Roger