Re: Work/Energy Theorem

Jim Green says:

OK, I see. But let me probe how the *language* should be used: If a stick
of dynamite at rest blows and stuff flies all about, are we as a group
comfortable saying that no work was done? I really don't have a firm
position here. How about the list??? Or a system of two particles
connected by a compressed spring is freed??? No work??? [John, this is the
reverse of your example A] In Gene's example above, no work??? Really???
I will use any language agreed upon here, just tell me how to talk. (:-)

I think you have to specify what system you are calculating work for. As
Dario pointed out, in the "push off from a wall" scenario work is done on
the rest of the body by the arm, even though no work is done on the body as
a whole.

This kind of thing is going to happen whenever potential energy is being
released: is the potential energy internal or external to the system of
interest?

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu