Re: fluorescein

I have been using fluorescein dye in a tank of water to make a laser beam
visible in the water. The students and I are wondering why the surface of
the water is such a bright green color as compared to the brightnes of the
rest of the liquid in the tank.

If there is ambient fluorescent light in the room then it has an
appreciable UV component. That component is absorbed by water, so
it doesn't cause fluorescence in the bulk, just on the surface.

That's just my best guess; I have no special knowledge.

Leigh