Re: Bulges

I thought only geography textbooks were confused about tides!

A point or two that I would like to clarify:

Donald E. Simanek writes:

However the implication in the above is that the bulges are
somehow *due to* the rotation about the center of mass. This
isn't true. The two tidal bulges would be there even if there
were no rotation, that is if you were to 'nail down' the earth
and moon to the fabric of space, the bulges would still be
there. The rotation only modifies the bulges somewhat. Many
textbooks I've seen give students the wrong impression that
these tidal bulges depend on rotation, and depend on some
mysterious property of the center of mass. And of course
students will swallow even a bogus 'explanation' if it 'sounds
good' without critically examining the details of evidence,
logic, and fundamental physics.

The word "rotation" is ambiguous: others have pointed out that the
rotation of the planet about its axis is necessary for tides to be
observed at a particular point. Donald is talking about "rotation
about the centre of mass" which makes me think he means the earth and
moon going round their common centre of mass, as opposed to being
"nailed down to the fabric of space" like two spheres in the
Cavendish apparatus, which he also mentions.

In this latter case there is surely one tidal bulge on each body, and
not two.

And again:

I have included this document by Phil Plait after my .sig.
Notice that he doesn't have to talk about center of mass, or
centripetal effects to explain the origin of the earth's tidal
bulges.

Now what does Phil Plait say?

>This part is tricky, and is the hardest part of this
>explanation to understand. A drawing of these forces looks
>like this:
>

> --> ----> ------->
> far center near
> side of Earth side
>
>where the arrows represent the force (and direction) of the
>Moon's gravity on these three points of the Earth. Now, we
>measure the gravity of the Earth relative to the center of
>the Earth; everywhere on the Earth, the center is "down". In
>a sense, we see the center of the Earth as "at rest". It is
>mathematically correct to then subtract the force of the Moon
>on the center of the Earth from the force felt on the near
>and far sides. This is called vector addition. If we do that,
>our diagram will look like this:
>

>far center near
>side of Earth side
>
>(Note that this drawing is not meant to be exact, but just to
>give a feel for what's happening).

Unfortunately the second diagram did not appear, but it is clear what
it should be: far side and near side both show forces away from the
centre of the earth. Plait, however, is "taking the centre of the
Earth as at rest" and adding "pseudoforces". Naughty.

Note also that the procedure is NOT mathematically correct if the two
bodies are "nailed to the fabric of space". In this case it's like
having two blobs of jelly (in the English sense - I can't think of
the American word) staked through their centres: they'll bulge
towards each other, yes, but not away from each other. Or perhaps it
depends on just how the bodies are nailed. I think the point is that
you get TWO tidal bulges when the bodies are in free fall,
accelerating towards each other, regardless of whether there is
circular motion, but the nailing is a red herring. Centripetal
effects are not essential, but I don't see how one can avoid the
centre of mass (Plait doesn't avoid it btw as he is taking the force
of the moon on the centre of the earth and subtracting the local
force of the moon), as the whole thing depends on the fact that the
body has the same acceleration everywhere, determined by the position
of its centre of mass, but the gravitational pull on it differs from
place to place, so the body has to deform - in both directions,
making two bulges.

The *bulges* do not depend on rotation, but the *tides* do. If
the earth and sun were fixed in space there would be bulges but
not tides. If the earth revolved around the sun but did not
rotate, there would be two tides a year.

Richard Grandy
Philosophy & Cognitive Sciences
Rice University

Richard is talking about rotation of the planet about its axis, and
he is correct. But I submit that he needs to be clear about what
"fixed in space" means before we can agree about one bulge or two.

Leigh Palmer writes:

I also seem to recall
that the Adriatic has only one tide per day, but my memory here
may be as defective as it was about Newton's perception of the
tides. Any clarification would be gratefully accepted.

I've lived on the shores of the Adriatic for 14 years and have never
observed that there were NOT two tides per day, but I must say I have
not looked very craefully. The range is small (less than 1 metre) and
the shores are steep and rocky, so the tides are not very obvious.
I'll check up!

I have understood some new things answering this. Thanks!

Mark.

Mark Sylvester, UWCAd, Duino, Trieste, Italy.
msylvest@spin.it tel: +39 40 3739 255