Re: oil-filled capacitors

Several messages have come along warning me about the oil-filled
capacitors. I'm quite well aware of the hazards posed by old PCB-
laden capacitors. I even had to deal with one many years ago in a
ferroresonant line regulator. Since ours are from a relatively
modern device (a pulsed laser), there's a good chance they don't
contain PCBs. However, we have already disposed of all the others
that were leaking, and the one in my office will be disposed of next
week, even though it isn't actually leaking.
Incidentally, I'm collecting some data from both an oil-filled cap
and a low-voltage electrolytic cap using a data-logging voltmeter.
I'll let you know what happens.

Steve Luzader
Frostburg State University