Re: Looking for a new soapbox

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Chip Sample wrote:

Good problem. I started my computer calculating the position of the worm
as a function of step number. (Thank goodness for those multi-tasking
Macs). It seems I will have to train the worm to make each step in say a
tenth the time it took to take the previous step, but I can't program the
Mac to do this! (Is that a Windows feature?) And of course the end of the
string will have to be moving well over the speed limit in short order.
What is the life span of this worm anyway?

I estimate he's within 10^4466 steps of getting there.

If so, you're essentially done and your Mac is a ***LOT*** faster than
mine!* I find that it takes the worm (10^43429.1975 +/- 10^43425.5598)
steps. (Note: I am adopting the convention of most students that all
numbers have nine or ten digit accuracy.) I know that my
uncertainty will seem unbelievably small to many of you, but I have
my reasons for being so confident.

Now am I am being serious or not? No smiley faces to give it away!

John

* My Mac choked on any rope stretch speed greater than about 8 cm/s!
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/