Much ado about.....?

http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/national/sci-quark.html

<title>Surprising New Particle Appears, or on the Other Hand, Maybe Not</title>
<h5>February 25, 1997</h5><br>
<h2>Surprising New Particle Appears, or on the Other Hand, Maybe Not</h2>
<h5>By DAVID KESTENBAUM</h5>
particle called a leptoquark that, if it turns out to be real,
could topple the reigning scientific model of how the world is put
together.
apparently indivisible subatomic particles into two exclusive
categories, quarks and leptons. Quarks are what protons and
neutrons are made of. Leptons are particles like electrons and
neutrinos. Together, leptons and quarks make up the atoms that form
all of the material world.
two decades only in the dreams and equations of theoretical
physicists as an object that would overturn the Standard Model, a
theory that has been dominant for so long that a generation of
physicists has known nothing else. The Standard Theory does not
predict leptoquarks, but the tracks of a leptoquark may now have
been seen in a particle accelerator in Germany.
understanding of physics that I don't dare to dream of it," said
Dr. Ralph Eichler, a physicist at the Institut fur Teilchenphysik
in Switzerland and a spokesman for one of two international teams,
with more than 400 physicists each, that reported the leptoquark
results on Wednesday at the accelerator, the Deutsches
Elektronen-Synchrotron in Hamburg, Germany. The results of the work
were submitted for publication Monday.
we're seeing might just be a random fluctuation," said Dr. Allen
Caldwell, a physicist at Columbia University who is the spokesman
for the other team, "like getting seven heads in a row when
flipping a coin."
Caldwell said.
particles within the quarks, an equally exciting possibility. Dr.
Guido Altarelli, a physicist at the CERN laboratory in Switzerland,
said the data could also be interpreted as evidence for an even
heavier particle, a leptoquark or something else, that has not yet
been observed.
the architecture of atoms to the reactions that power the sun.
Although it does not include gravity, it is the closest thing
physicists have to a "theory of everything."
Joseph Lykken, a physicist at Fermilab in Batavia, Ill., in an
interview. "It just leaves too many questions unanswered." He
added, "I expect we will find a crack in it sometime this
decade."
Leptoquarks arise, Lykken said, in theories that try to unite
leptons and quarks into a larger, simpler structure. The Standard
Model will not fall so much as it will be consumed by a more
complete theory, he predicted.
a shock to the whole community."
and positrons (the electron's antimatter counterpart) to close to
light speed and has them collide. The magnets occupy an underground
tunnel nearly four miles in circumference. The DESY instrument is
the only proton-positron collider in the world, and it is ideal for
making leptoquarks, if they exist.
the proton, which breaks up to form a shower of other particles.
The two research teams, which include collaborating groups from 19
countries, monitor the collisions at different points around the
ring, each using a house-sized particle detector weighing thousands
of tons.
last few years, the teams found that some positrons had emerged at
surprisingly high energies and large angles -- a greater number than
predicted by the Standard Model. In these events, Caldwell said,
the positron "almost makes a U-turn." He added, "We only expect
very few of these events per year."
leptoquark. The leptoquark would have survived only a fraction of a
second before decaying back into a positron and a quark.
said it was impossible to draw definite conclusions about what they
might be. The odds that those collisions were produced them by
chance, they said, is only about 1 in 200. But by particle-physics
standards, that is still well short of the 1-in-10,000 standard
usually required to establish firmly that a new particle has been
detected.
did not compare their results until last week, and they were
excited to find that they had a lot in common. "We thought we were
alone," said Dr. Guenter Wolf, a physicist at DESY, "but then we
found they had seen the same thing."
heaviest subatomic particle yet observed, weighing almost as much
as a lead atom. Previous experiments searching for leptoquarks had
not observed any but could have missed one this heavy.
caution, saying leptoquarks are only one possible explanation for
the data. The history books contain more than a few reports of
discoveries that turned out to be false.
physicists will be able to rule out or confirm that there has been
an excess of strange collisions. If leptoquarks are real,
physicists say, they should also turn up at other accelerators.
Fermilab's Tevatron would probably be the first to detect such a
particle when it resumes those types of experiments in 1999.<p>
<hr size=1>
<b>Other Places of Interest on the Web</b>
<li><a href="http://www.desy.de/pr-info/desy-forschung_e.html";>Overview of
Research at DESY</a>, the Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron in Hamburg (all
pages in English)

<li><a
href="http://info.desy.de/pr-info/desy-recent-hera-results-feb97_e.html";>Recent
Results from HERA</a>