Re: Piaget and asundry

Rauber, Joel Phys wrote:
[ ... ]

Several days back, someone brought up the use of MAPLE (or was it
MATHEMATICA) in the introductory class; and made the comment about how the
use of this calculational technology would enable students much earlier in
their careers to investigate more abstract and sophisticated material; I
think even implying its use in lower grades than university ones. There are
limits to this, which I think Piaget addressed.

Joel

is no longer fashionable among Physics people is that Piagettian ideas
allowed us to understand and categorize some of our successes and
failures but never produced any systems that produced better
instruction. At least, no systems were publicized that produced better
instruction without using up very large amounts of instructor time. I
think that there is a lesson for contemporary efforts in there also.
--
Maurice Barnhill, mvb@udel.edu

One of my colleagues here pointed out that the reason that Piaget is no
longer fashionable among physics people is that grant money for educational
research in this area is not easy to get.

Roger Pruitt