Re: Computers (software upgrades)

'all the needs I know' is the operative phrase.

As long as one is ignorant of what 'new' features are included in newer
versions, one can be quite happy--ignorance is bliss--I believe the phrase
goes {and if I was home I could instantly look up the source [probably
Shakespear--isn't everything] without closing my Word (7)}. To be sure,
many features of the next and greatest version are of little use to most of
us, but usually after a second generation of upgrades, there are real
differences. Examples of what the integrated office products can do:

1) Export wordprocessing, spreadsheet, and database screens directly to a
web page in HTML and even keep them linked as such.
2) Tightly link the applications: Say you have a spreadsheet graph that
you've included in a wordprocessing document and a presentation package.
Now suppose you find an error in an entry. Change the entry and not only
is the graph updated within the spreadsheet, but also in the document and
the presentation.
3) Easy transitions between spreadsheets, data-bases, wp-documents, and
presentations. Each separate application can produce files for use in the
others and read files from the others.
4) Interface with other reference material (such as M$
Bookshelf)--directly open such references from within the office
application and transfer info directly (without going through the
clipboard).

There are more, but then I don't use all these features either. Office 97
is supposed to not only tightly integrate all its pieces but also tightly
integrate to the internet. In fact, the path M$ is following is to blend
all applications including internet browsing into one interface. Netscape
is working on the same idea--probably started it as Bill seldom has a 'new'
idea.

OTOH--many folks are still chugging away (happily) on WordPerfect 4.2--so
what do I know? I was happy with WP5.0 until I saw how much easier it was
to include graphics using the Windows version--that's what got me to use
Windows in the first place.

Rick

problem. I use Microsoft Excel and Word, both version 5 flavors.
Am I missing something significant? For my purposes these
applications serve all needs I know.

{snip}