Re: INNUMERACY, was Re: Use of Calculators

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Richard Langer wrote:

INNUMERACY - I went to the store with a handful of coupons - most of them
"normal" - 50 cents off, etc, but one gaot me 10% off the TOTAL purchase.

The cashier had no idea why I wanted the 10% off rung up PRIOR to all the
cents off coupons credited.

About ten years ago, at the end of a phenomenal decade and a half of
growth in real estate values, my wife and I were interviewing a real
estate agent about the possibility of selling a house. At one point I
asked her why, with house prices up by a factor of three or so over such a
short time ago, were real estate commissions STILL 6%. The earnest agent
nodded knowingly and said in a resigned tone, "I often wonder the same
thing myself. After all, everybody ELSE has gotten a raise."

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/