RE: appropriate use of calculators

Hi all-
John Gastineau writes:
Banning calculators or equation sheets from exams creates artificial
situations. In professional life we all use calculators and references
in solving hard problems.
Only partially true. Before starting on a calculator (or
computer) solution to a "hard problem" I spend a lot of time worrying
about whether it is worth while to embark on a numerical solution.
The worrying requires estimation - usually on a blackboard in a
discussion with someone. I find it disheartening when, in such a
discussion, a post-doc has to run for a calculator for aid in making
simple numerical estimates.
Regards,
Jack