Waves and Energy

I wonder if I can get help on this question from a high school class.

If two electromagnetic waves interfere destructively, what happens to the
energy associated with the waves. I am guessing that on the large scale,
in a double slit experiment that additional energy shows up at the points
of constructive interference that compensates for the loss at the nodes.
But, what about looking as just the waves that are meeting at a node?

Any help would be appreciated. David Abineri