Re: bicycle stability, an experiment?

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Ken Fox wrote:

I am nuts joining in here but.... Could one ride a bicycle on a tread mill,
and maintain balance better than just sitting at rest? Would that isolate
the gyroscopic assist effect, if it is there, in balancing a moving
bicycle? I like it better than riding blindfolded!

A common training device for bicycle racers is a set of rollers.
Unlike the exercise devices which clamp your front fork, the rollers are a
type of treadmill requiring the rider to provide balance.
In my experience, it is much more difficult to maintain balance on
rollers when compared moving normally on a bike, but easier than
maintaining your balance while stationary.

I am sure that if you go to a well equipped bike shop they will let you
try their rollers.

Bruce Esser
Physics Teacher Something witty
Marian High School Should go here