Re: Physics Answer to a Question...

Your answer is correct, granted the rather nonstandard assumption that you
have some means of keeping the old man's mass constant (resupplying him
with water) without contributing any additional change to his speed. As
someone mentioned, possibly a nurse running alongside and continually
feeding him enough water (always adjusted to be at his instantaneous
speed) to just keep his mass constant?

Your answer follows from a general equation I derived and published in
The Physics Teacher, Vol. 33, Feb. 1995, pp. 124 - 125, "The Pedagogy of
the Rocket." The equation, in suitably simplified one dimensional
notation, is eq. 3 of the paper:

dvr/dt = u/mr dmr/dt -(me/mr) dve/dt,

where vr and ve are the speeds of old man (rocket) and tobacco pieces
(exhaust particles) respectively, u is the exhaust speed (speed at
which tobacco pieces are launched relative to old man), and mr and me
are the masses of the old man and tobacco pieces, respectively. The
usual rocket equation follows from throwing away the last term when
me/mr approaches zero relative to dve/dt (e. g., in a smoothly burning
well constructed rocket, where me is of molecular size and << mr).

As noted in the paper, the equation also covers "the motion of a
rowboat propelled by hurling bowling balls off the stern ... a
skateboarder jettisoning coat, shoes, protective pads ..., or any
other system in which the instantaneous "exhaust" mass me is not
negligible relative to the mass mr of the propelled system."

In the situation you have assumed for the old man, the last term of the
equation is all there is, since dmr/dt = 0 by hypothesis, and, using

dve/dt = - 5(m/s)/te

where te is the time between spits, and me/mr = .001kg/50kg = 2 x 10-5,
and integrating the equation over a time T = n te, we find

vr = 1 m/s = 2 x 10-5 x 5 m/s x n

or n = 10,000 as you claim.

As others have pointed out, a more standard problem would be to allow the
old man to lose mass as he spits. Even then, though, your problem does
not reduce to the well constructed rocket problem, since both terms in
the equation above contribute almost equally, so that the old man would
then need only about 5000 spits.