Re: e-field software?

On 31 Jan 97 at 22:50, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Does anybody know of a piece of shareware or freeware software for
the Macintosh that will graphically show e-field lines for various
setups? I've tried the usual sources like AOL and
www.shareware.com with no luck.

Today in lecture someone asked me to draw a few more magnetic field
lines on the diagram I was making (two wires carrying parallel
currents coming straight out at you). I was sufficiently unconfident
of my ability to produce such a drawing without seriously misleading
them that I declined to do so, stating that reason. What is needed,
of course, is a program which will allow one to draw many more field
lines than are usually drawn in the figures that appear in
textbooks.

There are several Mac (and PC) programs which will do just what you
want, but they're not free.

First and most important (based on my teaching) is EM Field by Bruce
Sherwood and David Trowbridge. (DT wrote Graphs and Tracks, another
important program, and BS is the author of cT.) EMField will let you
drop point charges of various signs and magnitudes anywhere on the
screen. Then you can request field lines, equipotential lines, field
directional vectors, field intensity vectors, and potentials at
points. You can also drag the charges around, and see all your
"measurements" respond. You can then move to end-on views of infinite
charged rods, and do their field lines, as well as flux and Gauss's
Law. The presentation of Gauss's Law is great, and I can't imagine
teaching e&m without it. Again, everything is live; you can drag
things around and see it all change. You can also use
current-carrying rods and do magnetic fields.

I wrote a review of EMField for the Physics Courseware Communicator
(wow--I just looked for the date--Autumn '93, eons ago) but it was
pretty short. I suggest getting a copy to play with. Anyway, I've
been teaching with this for some time. Great package.

Another good package, though a little more specialized, is Electric
Field Hockey. It's a game, yes, but you can link up dynamics with
electric fields and the concept of superposition. Student enjoy it,
but there's enough good physics there that you can even frame very
nice homework and exam questions based on it. EFH was written by
Ruth Chabay. There are some HW problems using EFH in the
Chabay/Sherwood E&M text, which long-time phys-l readers will have
seen me rave about.

A final program is Electric Field Plotter by Bob Nelson. I'm not as
fond of this one, and have not taught with it. However, it will do
more automated plots of fields than EM Field.

All of these work well both in a lecture-demo mode as well as for
individual student work.

All three of these packages are Physics Academic Software titles
(pas@aip.org).

Usual disclaimers--I don't (and never have) worked for PAS, despite
what some think!

Leigh mentioned Blas Cabrerra's electric field program. I remember
that one, and used to use it way back when. Kinko's doesn't
distribute those any more; Intellimation does. The Cabrerra program
is incredibly slow and not at all interactive, so while it was
excellent in its day, I can't recommend it.

JEG

--
John E. Gastineau (304) 296-1966
900 B Ridgeway Ave. gastineau@badgerden.com