Modulus of Rigidity

I was recent asked why the symbol G was used to
represent the modulus of rigidity. My answer was that while Young's
modulus is often represented by a Y (presumably for Young) or
by an E (presumably for Elastic modulus), and The bulk modulus
is often represent by B (again presumably for bulk); I could
think of no good reference for G. I check a number of texts, and found
that while they all without exception used G for the modulus of
rigidity, they also made no reference to why G was used as the symbol.

Perhaps it is just traditional and has no real accountable source.

Does anyone on the list have an answer to this question?

Bob Foley, Physics Dept. UW-Stout