superposition

Donald Simanek wrote:
I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone clearly stated what "The
superposition principle" is. First, it isn't a *physics* principle or law.
It is a mathematical relation. Is it any different than *additivity*?

In my opinion the superposition principle is a pre-mathematical relation.
Math people can define anything they want. As physicists they try to define
things to reflect relations in the physical world. For example, if a charge
Q1 at point A produces E1 at a point C while a charge Q2 at B produces E2
at C then Q1 and Q2 together produce E3 which happens to be the sum of E1
and E2 at C. Very often this is an experimental fact and mathematians are
inspired by it. They develop conceptual tools which we use to solve problems.
That is how I understand Dan's generalization:

If cause A produces result A', and cause B produces result B', then the
two causes acting together will produce result A' + B'. ... we say that
the cause and result obey a principle of superposition.

The power of mathematics is in its internal consistancies; the starting
assumptions must come from elsewhere.
Ludwik Kowalski