Re: Junk Science Junk Telecast

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Raymond A. Rogoway wrote:
Upon the advise of someone on this list I started to watch ABC TV's Junk
Science last night. I even stuck a tape in the VCR. After about 30
minutes I realized that this was a Junk Telecast about "junk science."
In my humble opinion ABC was guilty of almost everyone of the "sins"
that they were "exposing." Plus, the attitude of the reporter (a Geraldo
Rivera wanabee) was anything but "scientific." It was "talk show TV",
confrontational, designed to embarass the person being interview and
editted to slant ABC's way.

Ray, I could not agree more! I found myself talking to the TV saying,
"But you were the catylist in promoting this 'bad science'". Most of the
stories weren't about scientists doing science, they were about
non-scientists trying to do pseudo-science. And the media, like ABC, were
the ones to promote it and hype it up at the time it came out. Where was
this "critical eye" when they were hyping it?

IMHO, this show is one of the biggest arguments for the education of the
non-science person in basic science knowledge. We have failed to educate
our Lawyers, Journalists and most of the liberal arts type of people in
basic science. Ignorance is our biggest enemy.
--
James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059