Re: Motorcycle Steering

Can anyone suggest a reference source which discusses the physics of
steering a motorcycle, a technique known to bikers as "counter-steering"?

David,

The only brief letter I have seen published is:

Am. J. Phys., Vol. 42, No. 8, August 1974 Pages 701 - 701
The Motorcycle as a gyroscope
J. Higbie
Department of Physics, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia

Incidentally, we have been working on a new way to search the AJP/TPT
articles by the web; I searched our beta web engine for "motorcycle" at
http://hertz.physics.purdue.edu/aapt/
to find this. Check out the search page and send comment if you are so
inclined.

Dan M, commuting daily Flagstaff<>Phoenix, in a cage not on a bike

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html