Re: elctronic components

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Donald E. Simanek wrote:

inductance... and so it goes. The experimental determination of decay
curves is fraught with difficulties. I'm not sure it's suitable for
freshmen, unless one chooses the experimental components very carefully.
But is this fair? To choose things which won't cause trouble, giving the
students a false confidence that they can go and measure any capacitor
with equal ease?

We have had good results using a computer interface to measure V vs t for
the last couple of years. We use 1% capacitors and measure R with an
digital meter.
I have used it as an experimental intro. to exponential decay, even
before discussing it in class. log(V) vs t comes very close to linear.
Al