teaching and understanding

On 12/28/96 Donald E. Simanek, with whom I agree so often, wrote:

Many exams reward mere memorization, cramming of definitions and slogans,
slavishly carrying out procedures and recipes and pattern-following.
These do not measure understanding.

True. But that does not mean that "knowing without understanding" should
not be rewarded. Levels of understanding are hard to quantify; most often
understanding is the last step in the process of learning. We begin by
emitating and we end, hopefully, by being emitated. Yes, textbooks and
classroom activities should promote understanding, gradually. Expecting
too much may have negative effects on our mental health, expecting too
little may kill our self-respect. Probing for understanding during an
exam, taken under pressure, may be counter-productive.

Ludwik Kowalski KowalskiL@alpha.montclair.edu