Re: Caving in: "Too strict" teacher fired

I've been carefully avoiding this thread because of my recent heart
attack but the 80% failure rate hooked me. In our district we have
become victims of Equity 2000. All incoming freshman must take Algebra
whether or not they can add, subtract, multiply, divide, read, or write.
Naturally the failure rate was high. So our administration did wonderful
magically things such as changing course titles, moving students around,
moving the failures to classes called aiding, and outright changing
grades. We have a slightly better pass rate but have really became
experts in smoke and wizardry. Of course no one has bothered to consider
what happens to an incoming freshman who is placed into a course for
which they are neither prepared nor can comprehend. Sets a wonder open
month for the next 4 years of school.

Ray Rogoway