Re: A new nuclear option ?

At 8:10 PM on 12/10/96, <phys-l@mailer.uwf.edu> wrote:

Perhaps you can explain why our administration is proposing burial of
plutonium
When one considers the value of this material as a fuel it seems pretty
stupid.
My guess is that they are concerned that someone will swipe the stuff for
weapons if they try distributing it for fuel, but it would seem that some
safeguards could be designed to prevent the use in weapons.

Yes, I believe it can be alloyed relatively easily leaving it useful as
fuel, but useless for weapons construction unless you have Oakridge-like
ability to re-refine it, in which case you could probably mine it yourself.

Chip