----------
From: B. Esser <besser@creighton.edu>
..
In one location a particular third shift employee had been tardy (i.e.
arrived more than 1/2 hour late) 22 times in a six month period. This
person was placed on warning. When the behavior continued (21 tardies in
the next six month period) the person was terminated...
This person took us to court claiming that his cultural heritage did not
consider punctuality to be important. In the deposition, he stated that
even though he was told to be on time, he did not believe that this was a
"big" issue. His lawyer wanted us to accomodate his cultural and
behavioral differences. We eventually offered him a lump sum payment and
a position with "flex time".

Bruce Esser