Re: Use of exams.

I would add one other purpose of tests to Donald's list:

1) Tests can also be teaching tools. I try to create questions which get
students to synthesize basic information in a new way so that they come
away from the test having seen the material in a new light or having made
new connections. The material they study for the test is the lead in and
the test question is the punchline, the material is priming the pump and
the test question is when the water starts flowing. The test question is as
close to a real life application of the principles as posible. I want them
to walk away saying "Oh! That's how this conects to that!". I warn them
they will always see something new on the tests that they never have seen
before. All this is very hard to do (and I am not always very successful)
but I give it a shot.

kyle