Re: Caving in

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Keith C. Tipton wrote:

What do kids say or do to get you to change your mind about grading, test
schedules, incompletes, curves, etc? What do you say or do about it?
What has worked best, in your opinion? Has your dept chair backed you?
Have you found that it seems that 'most' other teachers give in, making
you look particularly out-of-place in the scheme of things at your school?

I am at the end of my rope with my kids, whiners all... I could use good
advice, good stories or good jokes to make this end-of-year crunch a little
easier!
'Caving-in' sounds like you think changing your announced policy is
wrong. You are the professional: do what in your professional judgement
you think is right.
One point of administrations and colleagues is to seek their advice and
support prior to enunciating new policies .. if they are not backing you
up now, so that you feel 'out-of-place' and are unwilling to do so, find
out why and reconsider the policy next time. But an announced policy is
in effect a contract with the whole class. To reverse it in midstream on
the complaints of a few is to disadvantage all the others who have played
by the announced rules.
The object is to get them to learn, not win popularity contests. Try
explaining to them, the pedagogic rationale behind your policy .. let them
know it is their learning you are trying to achieve. I find students
often lose sight of that simple fact. They may not like your decisions
but they are more likely to respect them if they understand their role in
your professional objectives for them. Then make sure your rules are
truly aimed to achieve their learning.

John Cooper, Chemistry, Bucknell University, Lewisburg PA 17837-2005
jcooper@bucknell.edu 717-524-3673