The Mechanical Universe

I've seen several references on the list to The Mechanical Universe,
and I've visited their www site. However we don't have easy access
to the videos or text to trial this series.

Could anyone who has used this material in their
university-level teaching of introductory physics give me an idea of
how useful they've found it, and what the teaching level is (i.e.
what standard physics text the level most resembles)? Also, how old
is it - i.e. is the video series "dated" at all? I've used some
relatively old astronomy videos, only to lose student concentration
while they laugh at the old hairstyles etc!

Thanks
Margaret Mazzolini

Dr. Margaret Mazzolini
School of Biophysical Sciences and Electrical Engineering
Swinburne University of Technology
P.O. Box 218,
Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
email: mmazzolini@swin.edu.au
phone: (61 3) 9214 8084 fax: (61 3) 9819 0856