Re: entropy

I don't think this got to the list. It is not very important, but I am not
going to let this contraption beat me! If I request confirmation, all sorts
of bandwidth will be used. How be it if only David Bowman confirms. Thanks
David.

A comment or two re the entropy thread:

Once again, we get 'ex-cathedra' pronouncements [mostly from
north of the border ;-) ] that dozen's of texts and years
of instruction are wrong--or damaging--or useless.

1) Rick, the fact is that dozens of texts *are* wrong, damaging, and/or
useless on various topics. It seems to me that the criteria for deciding if
Bill-Nye-the-science-guy explanations might be offered to students is *not*
whether "they will do untill later", but rather whether those concepts will
later have to be overturned by a later instructor with great effort.

Yet the groups of four will not have any apparent consistent
ordering of the four suits present. So in spite of some
mixing, and destroying of some of the order, other aspects
of order still remain.

2) Don, I don't understand your point here -- aren't you saying that an
unshuffled deck has the same entropy as a shuffled deck????

3) It seems to me that the conflict here (minimal though it may be) is due
to the approach to the topic: The thermodynamics/Clausius/Kelvin types have
no difficulty relating entropy to disorder. (In the class one drops a ball
allows it to come to rest and then waits for it to start bouncing again --
or, with courage, one might burn a newspaper in class and then wait for the
newspaper to reform itself. See one says the system does not spontaneously
return from disorder.) BUT the stat-mech/Kittel types focus on Boltzmann
and bean counting.

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com