colors of surfaces

Let me reintroduce myself. I am Ludwik Kowalski; some of you probably
will associate my name with the erroneous textbook description of capacitors
in series. Any new data, or new ideas, on that subject? I was on sabbatical
last year.

In the first message I received Ken asked:

How can the molecules absorb a tremendous range of frequencies at once?
And how can one group of frequencies reflect off this surface?

A single molecule, or atom, absorbs at specific frequencies. But these
specific frequencies become broader when molecules interact with each
other. In a solid interactions are so strong that specific frequencies
merge into a continous spectrum. The waves interact with many molecules
at once. That how I would answer his question, superficially.

Ludwik Kowalski, kowalskiL@alpha.montclair.edu