Re: communicating - Joe's response to Allen

Maybe. What you're referring to is face-to-face (or equivalent) contact.
I was trying to be a bit more generic and allow consideration of materials
(e.g. text, graphics, mm, etc.) with which there can be no direct
interaction, on the spot, with the creator of the "content".

But I think that we could add what you are describing by (a) communicating
some assessment task to the learner and (b) reversing the communication
direction of communications. This does indicate in (a) that the
assessment activity must be clearly understood by the learner and in (b)
that the teacher must be tightly engaged in understanding what the learner
is saying / doing (if not for diagnostic purposes, then at least for
formal assessment reasons).

What do you think, Joe?